Tacoma friends, make plans soon to visit the North Pacific section of the Point Defiance Aquarium before it closes.
You’ve probably been following the construction of the new aquarium at the zoo and wondering when it will be open.
As of now, we don’t have a specific date, but we can tell you that the new Pacific Seas Aquarium is scheduled to open in the summer of 2018.
In preparation for the big change the old North Pacific Aquarium will be closing permanently at the end of this month, so go now if you want to say goodbye! Note that the rest of the aquarium and the zoo are still open as usual! Also note that this closing is in preparation for the NEW aquarium’s eventual opening.
There will also be special closing weekend events this Saturday, the 24th. You can read more about those here or below! Note that only the North Pacific Aquarium is closing. The South Pacific Aquarium, which is the part where you can touch stingrays and see tropical fish and sharks, will still be open.
Activities This Weekend:
- 10am – 3pm both days: Write your NPA memories on a sticky-note bubble on our Memory Wall (upper level)
- All day: Watch our looping video (upper level)
- 11am – 3pm both days: Touch sea stars, urchins and more in the Marine Discovery Center (upper level)
- 11 am Sat: Watch divers splash in the central exhibit
- 2 pm Sat: Octopus enrichment with Oswald the octopus (lower level)
- 1pm both days: Meet Siesta the sloth (upper level)
- And come at 11 am Monday March 26th for a community feed.
Photos provided by our friends at the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium. Not to be used without permission.