Wondering how kid friendly this weekend’s Jet City Comic Show in Tacoma is? Contributor, Amy, has a family friendly guide to this fun event.
Just because Halloween ends, doesn’t mean that fun with your favorite characters has to! Here’s the perfect opportunity to get one more use out of those costumes and have a great time with the family at the Jet City Comic Show! This Tacoma event has something to offer everyone in the family.
Your kids will love meeting their favorite super heroes and villains at Jet City. In addition to some staged photo-op areas with costumed characters, event-goers in cosplay will be all around! Usually those in costume are prepared to be photographed, but best etiquette is to always ask first. Most are happy to pose!
If your costume is at least 60% home made, you can enter the Jet City costume contest on Saturday. Cash prizes are awarded to winners! The kids contest for those 12 and under is at 1:30, and the adult contest for those 13 + is at 4:30. If you plan to participate in the adult contest, be sure to register by 1pm and be available for pre-judging at 3pm. Go here for more details and FAQ on the costume contest.
You can count on a sea of exhibitor booths offering comics, collectibles, and much more. A few booths that are sure to be family favorites include 501st Legion Garrison Titan, where storm troopers and costumed Star Wars characters will be waiting, and Costumed Characters for Causes, where kids can get their photos with their favorite Marvel characters!
Also worth checking out is Comics 4 Kids in the lobby. They’re dedicated to fostering literacy and imagination through free comic books for kids! Go here for a full list of exhibitors.
Artists, animators, and actors will all be stopping by throughout the weekend. Among them is former NFL star and actor/producer Fred “The Hammer” Williamson, and local actor Jeremy Palko who plays “Andy” on The Walking Dead. Check the schedule to see when your favorites will be there!
NEW THIS YEAR are two celebrity cars which will be located on the event floor near the food court. Come take your photo with replicas of KITT from Knight Rider or Baby from Supernatural!
Know Before You Go
A food court area with snacks, nachos, sandwiches, and other concession stand fare will be on the event floor, along with a seating area. If you want to go out to get food, The Old Spaghetti Factory, The Rock, and Freighthouse Square are all nearby. Your bracelet will grant you re-entry when you return!
- Special Considerations There is van accessible parking in the Parking Lot A garage. There are also elevators in addition to stairs and escalators to take event goers to each floor. Family/ Unisex/ Single-User restrooms are available near the main restrooms. The event floor has low-carpet, over which wheelchairs and strollers will have no trouble navigating. This facility is great for keeping the noise level reasonable, but it is still a busy event, so sound-sensitive folks may still want their noise-cancelling ear wear handy. It is typical for people to ask for photos with those in costume. If you or your child are uncomfortable with this, be prepared to politely decline as that’s a comic-event norm.
- Date: November 4-5 2017 (Saturday-Sunday)
- Admission: $15 Saturday, $10 Sunday, $20 Weekend Pass
**Children 10 and under are FREE with a paying adult-See link to Groupon below to save a few bucks.
- Hours: Saturday, 10:00am – 6pm Sunday, 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Location: Tacoma Trade & Convention Center (1500 Commerce, Tacoma, WA 98402)
Update from SFM-We included an offer from Groupon in an earlier edition of this post. Apparently, Groupon was not authorized to offer that deal. If you purchased it, contact Groupon for a credit or refund. We apologize for any inconvenience.