Are you thinking about taking the kids to the Oktoberfest at the Washington State Fair Grounds in Puyallup? If you’re wondering about whether this Oktoberfest is family friendly, or has much for the kids to do, you’re in luck!
New contributing writer, Amy, has all the scoop!
Great ready for a taste of Germany without the price of international airfare! Oktoberfest NW is coming back to the Washington State Fairgrounds in Puyallup October 6-8, 2017. While there will be the traditional biergarten for grown-ups, this event also offers plenty of fun for the whole family!
ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
Inside the ShoPlex you’ll find a ton of activities that kids of all ages will enjoy, including:
- Pumpkin painting
- Corn hole
- Photo booth
- Face painting
- Art activities
- Maypole dancing
Performances and music are scheduled throughout each day of the festival. Don’t miss Manuela Horn’s interactive Kinderfest show on Saturday at 1pm and Sunday at 2pm.
Of course, the family favorite is the kids’ version of the traditional Hammerschlagen. Did you ever think your kids would willingly ditch their electronic devices to hammer nails into a stump? It’s great fun and the kids LOVE it!
Though the brews will be flowing and welcomed anywhere throughout Oktoberfest, the kids’ activity area is away from the Sports Haus. Most of the louder crowds are contained to this 21+ area, but this is a very family friendly event, and the scene never gets too rambunctious.
A FOOD TOUR OF EUROPE
Even the pickiest of eaters won’t be able to resist all of the delicious fare at Oktoberfest. The spacious ShoPlex offers plenty of common area seating, so your family can choose from several restaurants and easily find a spot to eat together.
- Bruno’s European Café is bringing the best of their Lakewood restaurant to the festival. If you’ve got a little pickle-lover in the family, watch their eyes light up when you introduce them to pickle soup!
- La Waffletz & Macron Station will also be bringing their Freight House Square shop to Oktoberfest. Kids will love the brightly colored variety of macrons in the case, but be sure to snag one for yourself. They are the best macrons west of France!
- All the brats, schnitzel, and spaetzle you can eat from European Deli and Gutes Essen Haus!
If you’re little ones haven’t yet developed a worldly palette, don’t worry. Corn dogs and curly fries will still be standing by. You can view the full list of restaurants and menus on the Oktoberfest NW website.
SUNDAY FUN DAY
Sunday is a great day to check out this event with the family, especially if you’re looking for the lightest crowds and shortest lines. Admission is half-price (only $6), it’s all-ages all day, and there are some special family-friendly activities this day.
- Stein Dash 5k & Kids Root Beer Run– The day kicks off with the annual Stein Dash 5k for adults at 10:30am, but NEW THIS YEAR is the Kids Root Beer Run! This is a doable ½ mile run for kids beginning at noon. Be sure to go online and register if you’re interested in either of these events.
- The Running of the Wieners- Wiener dog races begin on Sunday at 12:30pm and last throughout the afternoon. As if watching these adorable pups compete wasn’t enough, this event also includes dog tricks and a doggie costume contest!
- Seahawks on the BIG BIG Screen- Have a Seahawks fan in the family who doesn’t want to miss their team taking on the Rams at 1:05? No worries! Join all your fellow 12’s and cheer the Hawks to victory together while watching the game on the giant 8 foot screen!
Date: October 6-8 2017 (Friday-Sunday)
Admission: $12 for adults; kids 12 and under are FREE all weekend. Half price admission on Sunday.
Note from SFM: There is still a Groupon available for Friday, but keep in mind you would only want it for after 3PM and until 6, if you’re taking the kids (see below).
Friday, 12:00pm – Midnight (21+ only after 6pm, no re-entry after 8pm,)
**FREE admission Friday noon-3pm**
Saturday, 11:00am – Midnight (21+ only after 6pm, no re-entry after 8pm)
Sunday, 11:00am – 6:00pm
**Half-price admission all-day ($6)**
Location: Washington State Fairgrounds in Puyallup. Blue gate entrance. Parking in blue lot is FREE!
Amy Hart Rogers