Updated for 2017
Nothing says summer like outdoor movies! Gone are the days of the old fashioned drive in theater, but you can still have lots of fun watching some of your favorite kids’ movies outdoors. Best part? Almost all of these events are FREE! Grab your camp chairs and cozy blankets, and head out to the park for some summer time fun.
This list is organized roughly north to south. We do believe it’s a comprehensive guide to South Sound outdoor movies, but if you know one we missed, let us know!
The annual Ivar’s Family Fun and Films series in Renton is a super fun place to spend your summer nights! Movies with pre-show entertainment are held at either Gene Coulon Memorial Park OR the Henry Moses Aquatic Center. Gates open at 8:00pm. Showings are FREE at Gene Coulon, and only $5 at Henry Moses.
- Friday, July 21 at Gene Coulon: The Jungle Book
- Friday, July 28 at Henry Moses: Moana
- Friday, August 4 at Gene Coulon: Sing
- Friday, August 11 at Henry Moses: Finding Dory
Join Tukwila Parks and Recreation under the stars for our Free Family Summer Outdoor Cinema Series. Grab your low-back chairs, pillows and blankets and settle in for a night of family fun. Movies begin around dusk and are shown under the stars on a huge inflatable screen with state-of-the art projection and sound system. Since this is a popular movie series, we suggest arriving early to get the best seats. This movie series is held at the Tukwila Community Center. Movies are free, family-friendly and typically on Friday nights in August
- Friday, August 4: Sing
- Friday, August 11: Moana
- Friday, August 18: Finding Dory
Come to Kentwood High School in your Hawaiian themed outfits. Fun and games before the movie! 8:30 (I believe this is showtime).
- Friday, August 25 Moana
The City of Auburn hosts their annual Summer Sounds Cinema events on Friday nights in Auburn. There will be concessions, concerts from 7:00pm-8:30pm, and a movie shown at dusk.
- Friday, July 28 at Lea Hill Park: Stacks Food Truck; The Zaniac Comedy Show at 6; The 5 Johnsons in concert at 7 and Sing at dusk.
- Friday, August 4 at Sunset Park: Arnold’s Food Truck; Mister G (kid friendly Latin Grammy winner) at 6; the Hall Pass Band in concert at 7 and Moana at dusk.
- Friday, August 11 at Les Gove Park: Eric Ode at 6; Rain City Time Machine in concert at 7; Star Wars the Force Awakens at dusk
*Link is a pdf* Free movies at Town Square Park. There is a new playground here and water features.
- July 29 Sing 9PM
- August 26 Pete’s Dragon 8PM
Movies in the Park, Pierce County Parks South Hill/Parkland-Spanaway
Grab a blanket and your favorite lawn chair for our Movies in the Park series. We will be offering four different family friendly movies in three different parks throughout the summer on our jumbo screen.All the movies are FREE and start at dusk. Come early to play for preshow activities and games at 7 p.m. Concessions on site will also be available.
- Friday, July 14 at Meridian Habitat Park: Homeward Bound II Dog friendly! Non aggressive dogs welcome.
- Friday, July 28 at Meridian Habitat Park: Sing Concert with the Fun Addicts before the show and a food truck on site
- Friday, August 18 at Sprinker Recreation Center in Tacoma: Storks
- Friday, August 25 at Meridian Habitat Park in Puyallup: Surf’s Up II
Movies in the Park, Bonney Lake
Formerly known as Friday Night Flicks, the city of Bonney Lake now presents Movies in the Park. Movies will be shown at Allan Yorke Park at dusk.
Note from SFM: TBA; we have a call in and will update as soon as we can!
Enjoy a series of movies on Fridays in August at dusk (approximately after 8 pm). Watch your favorite movies the big screen, outdoors at Reuben A. Knoblauch Heritage Park in charming Downtown Sumner. Snacks will be available for sale at a concession stand operated by/supporting the Sumner High Wrestling Team.
- August 4 RV with Robin Williams PG Note from SFM-I’m not familiar with this one or how kid friendly it is. Leave a note if you know!
- August 11 American Graffiti PG Note from SFM-I would not consider this kid friendly, but you may feel differently.
- August 18 The Secret Life of Pets
- August 25 Up!
Head to Bradley Lake Park for, “Flashback Fridays,” this summer. All movies are free and begin at dusk. Concessions are available for purchase. There will also be a movie shown during the community campout event.
- July 7 Despicable Me
- July 21 Elf
- August 4 Beauty and the Beast
- August 18 Little Giants
Movies in Park Presented by Click! and Grand Cinema Bring your blankets and lawn chairs and enjoy a fun-filled, family-oriented evening under the stars! The movie plays on a 24′ Inflatable Screen. Movie begins at dusk. Leashed pets and outside food and drink are welcome. No alcohol Location: St. Martin of Tours Parish 2303 54th AVE E Fife
- Friday, July 14: Storks
- Friday, August 18: Lego Batman
Drive your car down to the LeMay for a FREE drive in movie on a 40-foot outdoor screen! There will be concessions for sale. Parking begins at 4:30pm for this very popular event with showtimes at dusk.
- Saturday, July 8: Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Saturday, July 22: Ghostbusters
- Friday, August 11: Moana
Summer Bash and Movies in the Park Metro Parks Tacoma
Metro Parks Tacoma presents Summer Bash and Movies in the Park this summer for FREE! Prior to the movie, there will be live music, games, food vendors, and more! Bring your lawn chairs and blankets for the show at dusk.
- Friday, July 28 at Kandle Sunset Cinema: Lego Batman
- Saturday, July 29 at Wright Park/Ethnic Fest: Hidden Figures
- Friday, August 4 at Stewart Heights: Moana
- Friday, August 11 at The Center at Norpoint: Kubo and the Two Strings
- Saturday, August 19 at the STAR Center: Sing
Free and open to the public. Watch a movie from the ballfield. Note-readers have said this was fun, but that the sound was a little iffy. Also, keep in mind that you can’t wheel strollers on to the turf. If you went to one here last year, leave us a note and tell us how it was! Gates open at 6PM; show at 6:30
- Friday, June 16 Finding Dory
- Friday, June 23 Beauty and the Beast (animated 1991)
- Friday, September 1 The Lion King
- Friday, September 8 Trolls
Event starts at 6PM with the movie scheduled for 9. The Kiwanis Club is doing hot dogs. Bring your frisbee or volleyball and claim your spot on the grass!
- July 21st Trolls
Each Friday in July, the city of Gig Harbor presents Movies in the Park at Skansie Brothers Park. Movies will begin as soon as it is dark enough, with family friendly activities from Harbor WildWatch prior to the show at 7:30pm. Bring your own chairs or blankets!
- Friday, July 7 Sing at 9:15
- Friday, July 14: Finding Nemo at 9:00
- Friday, July 21: Finding Dory at 9:00
- Friday, July 28: The Little Mermaid at 9:00
Enjoy a concert at 7:00pm followed by a movie at dusk at Lacey in Tune Movies at Dusk. Bring your won chairs and snacks. Concessions will also be available.
- Saturday, July 15: The Lego Batman Movie
- Saturday, July 22: Zootopia
- Saturday, July 29: School of Rock
- Saturday, July 30: Sleeping Beauty and Maleficent
- Saturday, August 5: Sing
The city of Tumwater’s Parks and Recreation department brings you FREE movies with Screen on the Green. Movies will be shown at dusk with seating at 7:30pm at the Tumwater Valley Golf Course. Bring your own food, or buy what’s on site
- Friday, August 4 The Lego Batman Movie
- Friday, August 11 Trolls
- Friday, August 18 Sing
- Friday, August 25 Rogue One
Prefer to stay indoors for the movies? Check out Regal’s Summer Movie Express Kid’s Program!
Feeling a little more cultured? Check out a Free Summer Concert or Show for Kids in the South Sound!Yes, it’s updated for 2017! That’s a lot of free fun!