Updated for 2018
Nothing says summer like outdoor movies! Gone are the days of the old fashioned drive in theater, but you can still have lots of fun watching some of your favorite kids’ movies outdoors. Best part? Almost all of these events are FREE! Grab your camp chairs and cozy blankets, and head out to the park for some summer time fun.
This list is organized roughly north to south. We do believe it’s a comprehensive guide to South Sound outdoor movies, but if you know one we missed, let us know! As with all our extensive guides, we provide links so you can confirm details.
The 2018 Summer Outdoor Movie Series will feature an assortment of new set locations for the community to enjoy the film series under the stars. Bring the entire family as this year’s movie line-up will make you Wonder if Coco is an appropriate summertime beverage or if it’s Despicable? The curtains go up at dusk.
- July 21 – Jumanji at Piazza Park
- August 3 – Despicable Me 3 at Henry Moses Aquatic Center ($5.00 entrance fee; tickets to this one can be purchased at 7PM; show starts at 8PM)
- August 10 – Coco at Sunset Neighborhood Park
- August 24 – Wonder at Cascade Elementary School
- Friday, August 24 Coco 8:30 PM at Kentwood High School
Live entertainment and blockbuster movies make Friday nights in Auburn a real treat for the whole family! All events will feature food concessions/food trucks, inflatable rides and an ArtRageous hands-on art activity.
- Friday, July 27, 2018 Lea Hill Park, 31693 124th Ave SE
- 6:00 PM – comedy and stunts
- 7:00 PM – Hair Nation (the Pacific Northwest’s Premier 80’s Hair Rock Band)
- Dusk – Movie: Despicable Me 3 (PG)
- Friday, August 3, 2018 Sunset Park, 1420 69th Street SE
- Friday, August 10, 2018 Les Gove Park, 910 9th ST SE
*Link is a pdf* Free movies at Town Square Park. There is a new playground here and water features. Movies play at dusk.
- July 28 Coco
- August 25 Wonder
Movies in the Park, Pierce County Parks South Hill/Parkland-Spanaway
Movies Start at Dusk
Allan Yorke Park – 7302 West Tapps Hwy, Bonney Lake
Join us for live movie watching outdoors at Allan Yorke Park again this summer!
**Movie selections are subject to change.*
- August 7, 2018 Coco
- August 11, 2018 Sherlock Gnomes
Enjoy a series of movies on Fridays in August at dusk (approximately after 8 pm). Watch your favorite movies the big screen, outdoors at Reuben A. Knoblauch Heritage Park in charming Downtown Sumner. Snacks will be available for sale at a concession stand operated by/supporting the Sumner High Wrestling Team.
- August 3rd Beethoven
- August 10th Sing
- August 17th Back to the Future
- August 24th Homeward Bound
- August 31st October Sky
Head to Bradley Lake Park for, “Flashback Fridays,” this summer. All movies are free and begin at dusk. Concessions are available for purchase. There will also be a movie shown during the community campout event.
- July 6 Back to the Future
- July 20 Toy Story
- August 3 The Lion King
- August 17 Wonder
- July 20 Dog’s Night Out & Movie in the Park
5:30-8 p.m. (Movie at Dusk)
Grab a leash and your furry canine friend and come out to Dacca Park for an evening devoted to doggies. Games, stations for dogs, and food truck from 5:30-8 p.m. and live music from the Randy Oxford Band at 6:30 p.m. Stick around after the show for a free movie in the park at dusk: 101 Dalmatians.
- August 3 Touch-A-Truck & Movie in the Park
5-8:30p.m. (Movie at Dusk)
Fire trucks, police cars, dump trucks, tow trucks, and even a garbage truck! Come check them out! Children have a hands-on opportunity to explore vehicles of all types, as well as meet the people who use them every day. Vehicle tours from 5-6:30 p.m. and live music at 6:30 p.m. from Jessica Lynne. Food truck open 5-8:30p.m. and stick around after the concert for a free movie in the park at dusk: Coco.
Join us for the Drive-In movie series on ACM’s Haub Family Field where the cars are the stars!
Grab dinner at our picnic concessions and watch in your car or from a blanket or chair, either option will give you a great view of the 40-foot outdoor screen!
The Drive-In movies have proven to be very popular, so be sure to arrive early to reserve your spot! Parking for the show starts at 4:30pm, with showtime at dusk (around 9pm).
Drive-In movies are FREE to the public, but does not include Museum admission.
- July 7: Jaws Note from SFM-I wouldn’t take kids to this, but I’ll let you make the call.
- July 21: Cars 3
- August 11: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Summer Bash and Movies in the Park Metro Parks Tacoma
Pack your snacks, blankets and lawn chairs and head to the park for a free outdoor movie for the whole family!
- Friday, July 13, 2018 Movie: Coco, rated PG
Location: Stewart Heights Park; Activities begin at 5 pm
Movie begins at dusk
- Saturday, July 28, 2018 Movie: Moana, rated PG
Location: Wright Park; Movie begins at dusk
- Friday, August 3, 2018 Movie: Peter Rabbit, rated PG
Location: Kandle Park; Activities begin at 7:30 pm
Movie begins at approx. 8:45 pm
- Friday, August 10, 2018 Movie: Cars 3, rated G
Location: The Center at Norpoint; Activities begin at 6 pm
Movie begins at dusk
- Friday, August 17, 2018 Movie: Sherlock Gnomes, rated PG
Location: STAR Center; Activities begin at 5 pm
Movie begins at dusk
Free and open to the public. Watch a movie from the ballfield. Note-readers have said this was fun, but that the sound was a little iffy. Also, keep in mind that you can’t wheel strollers on to the turf. If you went to one here last year, leave us a note and tell us how it was! Gates open at 6PM; show at 6:30
July 27 Coco
August 31 The Sandlot
Picnic in the park begins at 6pm; the movie starts at 9:15pm.
- July 20th Star Wars:The Last Jedi
Each Friday in July, the city of Gig Harbor presents Movies in the Park at Skansie Brothers Park. Movies will begin as soon as it is dark enough, with family friendly activities from Harbor WildWatch prior to the show at 7:30pm. Bring your own chairs or blankets!
- Friday, July 6 Wonder at 9:15
- Friday, July 13: Top Gun at 9:00
- Friday, July 20: Peter Rabbit at 9:00
- Friday, July 27: Despicable Me 3 at 8:30
Enjoy a concert at 7:00pm followed by a movie at dusk at Lacey in Tune Movies at Dusk. Bring your own chairs and snacks. Concessions will also be available.
- July 14 Lovey James-Pop/Today’s Hits followed by ET PG
- July 21st Justin James Comedy Hypnotist followed by Jumangi-Welcome to the Jungle PG-13
- July 28 British Export-Beattles Tribute followed by The Incredibles
- August 4 Sway-Dance Party with Hits of Today followed by Black Panther PG 13
Seating begins at 7:30pm and movies begin at dusk. This event is guaranteed fun for the whole family, and admission is FREE. Come early and enjoy dinner on the patio at the River’s Edge restaurant, from the Wicked Pies food truck, or even bring your own picnic, as long as you abide by park rules. Bring your chairs and blankets but please leave the grills, umbrellas, and pets at home.
- August 3 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- August 10 Peter Rabbit
- August 17 A Wrinkle in time
- August 24 Wonder Woman
Prefer to stay indoors for the movies? Check out Regal’s Summer Movie Express Kid’s Program!
Feeling a little more cultured? Check out a Free Summer Concert or Show for Kids in the South Sound!Yes, it’s updated for 2018! That’s a lot of free fun!