This amazing weather has me itching for summer fun! And, one of the awesomest things about summer is being OUTSIDE! Did you know communities around the South Sound host big name kids’ entertainers all summer long for FREE? It’s true! I’ll have these in your calendar, but I know some of you like to plan ahead, so grab your calendar, call some pals, and make plans for a picnic play date with a free show!
Virtually every city hosts free concerts during the summer months. We’ve highlighted the concerts geared specifically towards kids and families. If you’re a music lover, check out the sites linked below for more offerings. The complete list continues by city below.
On Wednesdays at noon, there will be Kids’ Concerts at Kent’s Town Square Plaza as part of the Kent Summer Concert Series. There is a water feature here, so you may want to bring the kiddos in their swim suits! Here’s the awesome lineup:
- Wednesday, July 13, Tickle Tune Typhoon – These dancing veggies and robots will provide educational topics under the guise of silly fun!
- Wednesday, July 20, The Not-Its! – This popular kindie rock group straight from Seattle will have you rocking with the kids!
- Wednesday, July 27, The Brian Waite Band – Musical storytelling with lots of laughs and rock and roll that make for a family friendly adventure !
- Wednesday, August 3, Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band – This Latin Grammy winning duo has also been nominated for 3 Emmy’s! People magazine called this album “The #1 COOLEST kids music!”
- Wednesday, August 10, Matt Baker – Guiness World Record holder and comedian with students will have your kids rolling with laughter and oohing and haying over his skills!
- Wednesday, August 17, Recess Monkey – Teachers turned rockers perform kid friendly music with clever lyrics parents love, too.
The City of Auburn hosts the Kids’ Summer Stage on Wednesdays at noon, July 6 through August 10, at noon. Les Gove is home to the excellent Discovery Playground and the Rotary Sprayground. Art activities also offered. Bring your swimsuit and a picnic and have a full day of fun. Expect lots of friends at this very popular spot.
- Wednesday, July 6 – The Chancy & Narly Show
- Wednesday, July 13 – Reptile Isle
- Wednesday, July 20 – Recess Monkey
- Wednesday, July 27 – The Magic of Jeff Evans
- Wednesday, August 3 – The Brian Waite Band
- Wednesday, August 10 – Eric Ode
The City of Bonney Lake hosts their 3rd annual summer Kids’ Club. Step on our to Allan Yorke Park on Mondays at 6:30 pm and Tuesdays at 11:00am for great events all summer long! Show lineup is still TBA as of this writing.
The City of Puyallup hosts Concerts in the Park June 30-August 25 at Pioneer Park and Bradley Lake Park. Kids will be excited to play at the newly opened spraygorund and the playground. Note that there is little shade, so be prepared on particularly sunny days.
Noon Tunes for Kids: Tuesdays at noon at Pioneer Park, unless otherwise noted
- Tuesday, July 5, Tweenland *Bradley Lake Park
- Tuesday, July 12, Reptile Isle
- Tuesday, July 19, The Not Its
- Tuesday, July 26, Roberto the Magnificent
- Tuesday, August 2, Recess Monkey
- Tuesday, August 9, Rowdy Refs
- Tuesday, August 16, Comic Dominic
- Tuesday, August 23, Reptile Isle *Bradley Lake Park
Family Concert Series: Thursdays at 6:30pm at Pioneer Park, unless otherwise noted
- Thursday, June 30, The Beatniks
- Thursday, July 7, Strangely Alright Sweet Kiss Mama
- Thursday, July 14, The Islanders and The Coats
- Thursday, July 21, Doctorfunk
- Thursday, July 28, The Windbreakers and Bobby Sox & The Juke Box
- Thursday, August 4, Slim Wizzy and The ABBAgraphs
- Thursday, August 11, Jonathon Harris
- Thursday, August 18, Heart by Heart
- Thursday, August 25, Spike and the Impalers
Pierce County Parks and Rec hosts a FREE summer concert series in July known as Sounds at Sunset. The most kid friendly event will be:
Friday, July 22, 7:00pm-8:30pm, The Not Its at Meridian Habitat Park
The City of Lacey’s Parks and Rec department offers a 7 week Lacey in Tune Children’s Entertainment Series. On Tuesdays at 6:30pm from June 21- August 2, kid friendly entertainment can be found at Huntamer Park in Woodland Square. Here’s the line up that includes performances, storytelling and comedy:
- Tuesday, June 21, Recess Monkey
- Tuesday, June 28, Jeff Evans
- Tuesday, July 5, Ian Dobson
- Tuesday, July 12, Chris Fascione
- Tuesday, July 19, We Care Sports
- Tuesday, July 26, Vikki Gasco
- Tuesday, August 2, Reptile Man
There are also all kinds of children’s acts and performers coming to a library near you!
Wondering about free outdoor movies in the parks? We’ll have a round up of those in a separate post! Phew!
For lots more fun, check out our Summer Fun Guide in the menu bar: