Updated for 2017
Do you want to introduce your kids to the arts? Fall is the perfect time to do it, on the cheap! October is Tacoma Arts Month, when hundreds of arts and culture programs will be featured for the community to enjoy. There are music, dance, theater, visual arts, workshops, and cultural events. All events are open to the public, and many activities are free.
Here we round up our pics for the very best events for kids and families-we’ve given a couple special attention as we think they’re not to be missed! Grab your calendars. Note-In most cases, we have linked to the event venue. You can also find more details on the event page at the Tacoma Arts Month site.
Start Tacoma Arts Month off on the right note with a kaleidoscope of pop-up art exhibits, hands-on activities, music and dance performances, and more at this free, family friendly, community festival! Enjoy appetizers and no-host bar while we honor the 2017 AMOCAT Arts Award winners and funding recipients. It’s all free and open to the public – pack up the family, invite your friends and come help us celebrate!
The Spire 710 S Anderson St Tacoma
Date: October 4 6 PM – 9 PM | Free
- Daily Art Activity: Join us for an art activity in the museum that celebrates your creativity! Date: October 1st-October 29th Wednesday-Sunday 3-4PM
- STEAM Studio at the Children’s Museum of Tacoma: STEAM studio invites making, tinkering, and creating with a plethora of recycled materials and authentic tools. Experimenting and problem solving skills will be honed for curious builders of all ages. Date: October 1st-October 29th 1Wednesdays-Sundays 10-5
- STEM Activity:Children of all ages and abilities will be able to explore science, technology, engineering, and mathematics activities led by a museum play guide. Date: October 1st-October 29th Wednesday-Sunday 11-12 All activities are included with pay as you will admission.
Campfires and Candelight illuminate this evening walking tour of Fort Nisqually Living History Museum. Eavesdrop as historical interpreters bring to life the men and women of the Hudson’s Bay Company.
Date:October 6th and 7th 7-10PM 10.00-15.00; free for children 3 and under; Advance purchase is required, and some time slots have already sold out, so don’t wait long.
Movie lovers of all ages will delight in these 13 animated and narrative short films about journeys of adventure, friendship, and life lessons. Free Top Pot donuts and Smith Brothers milk for the first 100 guests.
Blue Mouse Theater
Date:October 7th 10AM 8.00 general; 5.50 members
The Tacoma Arts Commission invited you inside the working studios of 70 local artists to lean about the artistic process, ask questions, and purchase one-of-a-kind creations. All studios will feature demonstrations or will have hands-on activities for visitors. It’s family friendly and free! Get your Tacoma Studio Tour Passport and more info online.
Various locations around Tacoma
Date: October 14th and 15th 11AM-5pM Free
Build your own Goblet sculptures inspired by James Mongrain’s exhibition. Join art educator Jennifer Adams in transforming everyday materials like hot glue and plastic cups into inspiring artworks.
Museum of Glass
Date: October 14th 10AM-5PM 15.00 adults/5.00 children 6-12; 12.00 seniors, students, members of the military; 13.00 AAA; free for children 5 and under/members; 1.00 per person or 2.00 for the family for EBT cardholders. Note from SFM: You may also be able to get a Museum Library Pass to go for free.
- Third Thursday Arts Night at the Cabin:Join us for a special evening arts program at the birthplace of Tacoma. Learn about local pioneer history and make a creative art piece to take home.
Date: October 19 5-8PM Pay as you can
- Craft Saturday at the Cabin: Drop by the museum for our Craft Saturday event celebration Tacoma Arts Month with a take-home craft for kids. Activities are designed for children ages 3-9 and their families.
Date: October 21st 11AM-4PM Pay as you can
“Why are you sitting in a box? It’s not a box!” Inspired by the children’s story “Not a Box,” we’ll use our imaginations to make car sculptures our of boxes.
LeMay-America’s Car Museum
Date: October 21st 11AM-4PM Included with museum admission-10.00-18.00
This annual community event features all things paper with vendors of supplies and finished work, demonstrations, and make-and-take. For all ages.
King’s Books – 218 St. Helens Avenue
Date: October 21st 11AM-5PM Free!
Orchestral Recital Series of Tacoma-2017 Piano Trios Recitals
Piano Trios Recitals is a wonderful community event. Come hear 4-6 different concerts in one weekend, while providing piano students the opportunity to perform with a professional Cellist and Violinist.
Annie Wright School
Date: October 27, 28, 29 Call for hours 253 820 4505 Free, donations appreciated
Tacoma Musical Playhouse – 7116 6th Avenue
Date: October 28 and 29 Saturday at 11AM and 2PM and Sunday at 2PM 15.00 adults; 13.00 seniors/military/students12.00 children; 10.00 groups of 10 or more
Tacoma Youth Symphony Association presents a night of music from the movies. The orchestras will perform in costume, and the audience is invited to come in costume, too.
Urban Grace Church – 902 Market Street
Date: October 28th| 7 PM | $17- $25
We’ll have still more options around the South Sound in our complete Fall Arts Guide coming soon.
Disclosure: Sounds Fun Mom is a proud media sponsor of Tacoma Arts Month and received recognition in exchange for our coverage of these awesome events!