Updated December of 2016!
Do you know the perfect age to have a first visit with the orthodontist? If someone at your house is 7 this year, NOW is the perfect time to call Dr. Ethan Larson’s office to set up a first visit! Yes, 7! If that surprises you, read on to find out why!
It turns out that age 7 is the perfect time for a first consultation with an orthodontic provider, as recommended by the American Association of Orthodontics (AAO).
I always thought of braces as a rite of passage for teenagers. But, knowing what I know now, I do wish we’d started our teen’s orthodontic journey much sooner.
What’s Special About Age 7
Dr. Larson explains that at age 7 permanent molars begin to erupt. While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, an orthodontist can verify that there are no unseen problems. Do you notice any of these common problems in your kiddo?
After an initial visit with the orthodontist, Dr. Larson can monitor your child’s growth and development in order to begin treatment at the ideal time.
Positive Treatment Options for Starting Early
There are many benefits to treating sooner rather than later, and it’s not just about a pretty smile.
Early treatment means the doctor can:
- Check for functional shifts and crossbite
- Check for problems such as crowding, open bite, and jaw discrepancies
- Allow for time to create room for crowded teeth
- Help to create facial symmetry
- Reduce trauma to protruding teeth
- Check for proper eruption sequence
- Check for thumb habits and give guidance for correction
- Look for grinding or clenching of teeth
- Look for biting cheek or roof of the mouth
- Evaluate problems that may cause speech issues