Do you need some fun and affordable things to do with the kids during your Winter Break?
I’ve got things to do with the kids this Christmas vacation in Tacoma, Puyallup, Gig Harbor, and every other part of the South Puget Sound-I promise!
Oh, and lots of them are free, too! Here is a list of a dozen great ideas, but there are literally hundreds (maybe thousands?) more in our archives. I hope you’ll take some time to explore the site and fill you break with fun!
1. Go to the Washington State History Museum Their annual model train exhibit runs through the 1st, and it’s a great outing for your Thomas fans. You can get a museum pass from your library for Free admission, These are a bit tough to score right now, but you can give it a try! You could also use a library pass to take your little culture vultures to one of the other area museums. The Tacoma Art Museum has a new studio space where kids can draw and create for free.
2. Take a spin around a skating rink! If the Polar Plaza in downtown Tacoma is too spendy for you, head out to Sprinker in Spanaway where there are regular, “Cheapskate,” sessions (from the link scroll down to the bottom).
3.Go see the reindeer. Visit Santa’s team at Watson’s in Puyallup/Tacoma or Carpinito Brothers in Kent. It’s Free! They’ll be at Watson’s through the 24th and Carpinitos for the whole month of December.
4. Explore outdoors on a short hike (or walk)! Honestly, it’s really not all that cold out. Just wear jackets and boots, if you’re going somewhere muddy or wet. Here is a list of 10 great South Sound nature walks. The Nature Center in Tacoma is a particularly good choice. There is a small, indoor area with exhibits, a very fun playground, and miles of flat trails. Plus, it’s FREE (it’s nice to leave a donation if you’re able, of course). The great outdoors is wide open, year round! If you head to a state park, you will need to bring your Discover WA pass.
5. “Check out,” library fun. The Pierce County Library system is hosting a variety of FREE family activities this break from crafts to puppet shows! Gig Harbor readers even get a kids’ New Year’s Eve party! Just head to the calendar and scroll for all kinds of options. You can attend events at any library, regardless of where you live. Tacoma Public Libraries are also hosting several story time and movie events. Head here for the Tacoma Public Library calendar. Olympia area readers will want to head to the Tumwater Library for a free magic show from Jeff Evans on the 31st. He’s great!
6. Check out Zoolights. It’s open through January 5th! You can also drive through Fantasy Lights at Spanaway Lake (Here’s a Link to a post with a coupon link), or one of the other area light displays. If you’d like to do your own, here’s our list of neighborhoods with great light displays.
7. Use your deal! Got vouchers you’ve been hoarding? Go use them! I’m not the only one who does this, right?
8. Try a new place to play…..our great sponsors at Pump It Up in Tacoma have some special jump times. Frog n Kiwi is always fun for your preschool set (and their lattes are delicious)! Our friends at WiggleWorks Puyallup have permanently lowered the price on their weekday admission (Did you know they have regular story and craft times?) I have complete lists of every indoor playground and bounce house place in the area under, “Rainy Day Play,” in the menu bar. Do check before you go as some change their hours this time of year.
9. Make a splash! The amazing pool at the Federal Way Community Center has special holiday hours, and it’s an affordable way to have warm, water park style fun. From the link look in the column on the right and click on the pool, holiday hours schedule to download a pdf. See this post for other area pools with special features.
10. Go Wild Winter Wildland runs at Northwest Trek December 26th-28th. Admission here is spendy (Do your kids have free coupons around from their library summer reading still?) but it is a very full day of fun, and it’s a great outing if you have relatives in town. You can also get Trek memberships or add them on to existing zoo memberships.
11. Climb and play for half-off! The folks at Charlie’s Safari in Lacey are again running an awesome food drive special. Bring in 3 items and get bogo admission! Includes everything except unlimited laser tag. I have a review of this spot here. *I do suggest you call and confirm this deal before you go. Offers sometimes change faster than I can keep up with them!
Bonus- 12. Explore the site! O.K….this is a shameless self promotion, but this site has 100s of ideas for South Sound family fun. If you haven’t gotten past the home page recently, maybe it’s time! I’ll also have a great list of weekend events and outings up Friday morning, and more giveaways coming your way, too! You’ll want to be sure you’re subscribed to my emails!
Disclosure: This post mentions several of our lovely sponsors. I do hope if you give them your business, you’ll thank them for helping me bring you Sounds Fun Mom! Thanks for doing that!