Do you know about the kids’ gardening classes in Puyallup with the Master Gardeners? These are free, kids’ gardening classes at the WSU Demonstration garden off Pioneer, and we’ve got the schedule for these great programs for 2017!
This is a program from the Pierce County Master Gardeners. You may have met some of their friendly volunteers at the fair when you’ve planted a pumpkin seed.
Programs are around 1.5 hours in length and start with a short story and lesson followed by hands on activities in the garden. Programs are designed for children 3-11, and a grown up must attend. I did several of these with my boys, and we enjoyed them. At that time it was definitely a preschool age crowd. If you’ve been in the last couple years and have any thoughts on that, leave a comment!
All programs are Saturdays at 10AM, and you can sign up on site at 9:45. The one exception is the fairy garden project. You do need to register in advance for that one!
Here’s the complete list of upcoming programs on Saturdays at 10:00am:
- May 6: Love Your Soil Soil is not just dirt! Come ready to dig and learn what’s in it.
- May 20: How Plants Make More Plants What are seeds, runners, tubes, bulbs? Learn more about baby plants.
- June 3:Pollinators What does this big word mean? Learn how pollinators help in our garden.
- June 17: Fairies and Gnomes
- Have fun making a fanciful garden dish to take home. Two sessions at 10AM or 1PM. Pre-registration is required for this program. Do that via email to firstname.lastname@example.org beginning June 1st.
- July 8: Herbs, glorious herbs Plants that taste and smell delicious. Come be a plant detective!
- July 22: Here comes the sun. How does the sun help plants to grow?
- August 5th: Wildlife in the garden There are more than plants in our garden!
- August 19: Dr Seuss’s Garden The grand finale! Costumes encouraged
You can read more about each program’s offering in the brochure provided by Pierce County Master Gardeners. All programs are offered at the Pierce County Master Gardener Demonstration Garden, located in Puyallup where Fruitland Avenue meets Pioneer. The address is 2606 West Pioneer Puyallup 98371.
If you’re not in Puyallup, we do have a post on other area gardening opportunities for kids. We’ll let you know when we’ve updated it for 2017. Speaking of spring and summer fun, do make sure you’ve gone one post down to see the line up of kids’ movies for 1.00 from Regal this summer!