UPDATED FOR 2015
Wondering where to see Christmas Lights in the South Sound? Trying to find that neighborhood in Bonney Lake with all the lights, or how to get to that “famous” street in Redondo? Here’s my round up of best South Sound neighborhoods for Christmas Lights from South King County to Olympia, based mostly on ideas from our Facebook community. Thank you soooo much for all your suggestions. If you know of other great houses or neighborhoods to drive by, please leave a comment so I can add it!
Keep in mind these are private homes, so I definitely can’t make any guarantees here! Oh, and you may want to bring some cans of food, as many of these fun folks take donations for the food bank.
Update: Do be sure to check the comments below this post for more suggestions. Also, if you’re new here-welcome! I write about things you can go and do with your family around the South Sound. I have new ideas every single day, plus a huge list of fun and affordable outings every Friday morning. I hope you’ll consider subscribing to my emails or liking the site on Facebook!
- South King County
- Lake Wilderness Neighborhood off Witte Road in Maple Valley. Sue says the neighborhood goes all out, and they collect food donations.
- Christmas in Kent – Tune to 98.5 FM and drive on over to 18531 SE 224th Street from 7:00pm-9:00pm pm until 9pm Sunday – Thursday and 7:00pm-10:00pm Friday-Saturday to see a magnificent lighted display!
- Holiday House in Covington in Crest Air Park on 176th Ave SE *Detailed info. below from homeowner, Gena
The Very Merry Christmas House
30211 176th Ave Se Covington, WA.
The Very Merry Christmas House of Lights
Enjoy the show with delightful homemade props and over 60k lights synchronized to classic holiday music.
FREE- Drive by show debuts on Nov. 26th and runs daily, dusk till 11:30pm through Jan.1st.
Crest Air Park- 30211 176th Ave SE Covington, WA.
Follow signs off of Covington / Sawyer RD and 179th pl
Can food donations to benefit:
The Black Diamond Senior Center/ Food Bank
Thank You to our Sponsors:
The Nail Genie, Kent Truck & Equipment and HD Window Cleaning
Check Us Out:
The Very Merry Christmas House
Spooktacular Halloween House
- ViewPointe at Redondo in Federal Way – This neighborhood, at the cross streets of 1st Avenue S and S 300th Pl in, goes all out every year. Drive through or park your car and take a walk. The neighbors request that you bring canned food. Homes are lit from 6:00pm-10:00pm.
- Christ’s Church in Federal Way – 941 S Dash Point Road. Drive around back to the church’s parking lot and see an amazing holiday lights display projected onto the building, as well as multidimensional lights atop trees and decor on the church building, all synchronized to Christmas music favorites. My family did this multiple times last year because it is THAT GOOD. *This is not running in 2015. SO SAD! Hopefully it will be back next year!
- Marine Hills Home in Federal Way – 905 S. 293rd Place
- 12 Days of Christmas – another private residence in Federal Way, located at 30640 11th Ave S. There is a 12 Days of Christmas theme that is delightful!
- Twin Lakes Home in Federal Way – The yard, home, roof, and even neighbor’s homes are decorated with lights and displays at 32540 42nd Place SW in Federal Way
- Sky Island in Bonney Lake Huge displays set to music and neighbors going all in to outdo each other! Go up 410 and turn right at the 2nd light by the Chevron and the Wendy’s. Readers recommend turning right on 181st Ave E or left on 95th and then right on 181st for the best cul de sac. Know that the area is very busy on the weekends.
- Country Hollow/Siliver Creek area off 176th/Meridian/Gem Heights is really good. This one is worth driving through a couple of times throughout December! Jenna says they’ve also found some good homes off Sunrise Blvd E.
- Crystal Ridge off Shaw Road recommended by Liz and several others There is a particularly impressive display in the first neighborhood to your left, a few houses in. It’s a massive collection set to music. You can find it by following the crowd!
- Nunnally Reader Stefanie says that her brother in law’s home on Nunnally is covered with lights! They even have their own radio station timed to music.
- Hidden Lakes Reader Heather recommends Cardinal Street in the Hidden Lakes neighborhood.
- Pacific Avenue – Argent suggests a house on 48th a few blocks off Pacific Ave towards the mall, and adds that there are several good efforts on 54th right off Pacific Avenue. Reader Marian also suggests E 48th.
- You can also hit the professional, fee based light displays at Fantasy Lights around Spanaway Lake/S Tacoma-Lakewood, or at Zoolights at the Point Defiance Zoo!
- Ehler’s Home – The Ehler’s have invited Sounds Fun Mom readers to view their holiday lights synched to music in Tacoma at 616 S 78th St
- Wildwood Estates – The SFM crew drives through Wildwood Estates off 40th. It’s more a quantity than a quality issue-nothing massive but nearly every house has something. If you know of others, let us know! We always do this on our way back from Christmas Eve church.
Readers say there is a house with a great light display synced up to music. We’re not sure about the street-Kim thinks it might be Griggs or Evans Ct……Sounds like you can’t miss it.
- Macaroni Kid Kitsap readers recommend the RoyalWood neighborhood in Port Orchard
- Reader Tami and several others recommend the Ken Lakes neighborhood; go South on Black Lake Blvd. off 101
- There are nearly a dozen more well lit areas in Olympia on the Tacoma News Tribune’s interactive holiday lights guide. It’s pretty cool; you can print out addresses! Way to represent, Olympia!
Professional Lights Displays
You can, of course, do the professional lights at Ivars Clam Lights in Renton (This one is FREE), Zoolights at the Point Defiance Zoo, Holiday Lights at Wild Waves in Federal Way, or Fantasy Lights around Lake Spanaway. While it’s out out of my territory, several readers wrote in to recommend the trek to Snowflake Lane in Bellevue.
If you know of other great neighborhood light displays, please do leave a comment! Thanks to everyone for your help with this post. I can’t wait to load the kids up and go check some of these out. Do you think we can drink cocoa while daddy drives?
Blue house photo courtesy and property of CoreyAnn of AdventureBee